The Rules

THE RULES!

1: E (her) and R (him) will take it in turns to randomly select a wrapped DVD.
2: The DVD picked must be the DVD watched, no excuses.
3: DVDs given as presents do not have to enter the Roulette as that would be rude!
4: Let the world know what we thought!
5: Decide whether to keep or swap the DVD.
6: NO NEW DVD MAY BE BOUGHT UNTIL ALL ROULLETE DVDs HAVE BEEN WATCHED! (apart from on a few provisos!).


Tuesday 17 January 2017

No2: White Noise:The Light

Title: White Noise: The Light
Director: Patrick Lussier
Writer: Matt Venne
Starring: Nathan Fillion, Katee Sackhoff, Craig Fairbass

Following the loss of his family, a man attempts suicide only to discover upon waking that he can identify people who are about to die. But when he tries  to save people from their fate, he discovers there is an ultimate price to be paid for interfering with the natural order of life and death.

Initial thoughts:

His

I had not heard of this film before. The concept sounds very interesting even if a little obvious. It is a well known fact that you can't mess with fate without facing the consequences. Am looking forward to see how this film deals with these consequences. I have enjoyed Nathan Fillion from Firefly and Serenity and who doesn't know Starbuck! Am looking forward to our No2 pick.

Hers

Knowing my taste in films this was more than likely my pick.  I remember watching the first White Noise and enjoying it so naturally this one sparked my interest when I picked it up (plus it was like 50 pence in CEX so you know....)  Going by hubbo's comments above I had no earthly idea who Starbuck was but I recognised her from the big-bag theory, the lead male had a slightly familiar look about him and there was a British 'bad guy' - what's not to love!!  I was looking forward to it.





After Thoughts:

His

I was hooked from the beginning of this film. Having thought that I would be able to read this narrative quite easily, I was wrong. From the very moment in the diner when the first shock comes, I was left guessing as to why these things were happening. After this initial surprise the film did become a little predictable at times although throughout it did keep throwing in twists that surprised.

The pace of the film was good with very few moments where you wished it would hurry up. This pace did hinder the understanding of the story a little especially at the end where I am still not quite sure what happened or how. Despite this I was invested with the twists and turns of what could easily be an easily predictable plot.

The acting was enjoyable, their was good chemistry between Fillion and Sackhoff which got you invested in the story.

Although the concept of the story is not a new one; man finds out he can see who is going to die and uses his power to save them before realising their are consequences, this film tells the story in a way that keeps you guessing at the finer details throughout.

All in all an enjoyable film that may well stay on the shelf.


Hers

I have to say overall I was a little bit disappointed with this film which I am surprised at because I love this sort of thing but I think in loving it I have built myself up a ridiculously high standard that it is difficult to meet.

Having said that the film started well enough, jumping right into the plot with gusto which I like (none of this stretching it out for ages which can be so tiresome!)  It goes from 0-60 in the space of about 5 minutes and I think the first comment out of my mouth after it started was "Well that escalated quickly!".

The story was in equal measures predictable and surprising and they got me with that - I watched without fidgeting to the end which is no mean feat.  My criticism was that the ending was a bit lacklustre.  They have clearly left themselves open to a sequel which is fine but they have done so at the expense of tying up even the most basic elements of the storyline.  Does he join his wife and child? Does she join her husband?  Who in the name of god are all these ghosts that keep appearing every so often and form some sort of day of the dead parade at the end?  Too many loose ends for me to enjoy the ending. 

Fillion and Starbuck had some good on-screen chemistry but by far my favourite performance was that of Craig Fairbass though still the eternal mystery remains why, in the eyes of the US, us Brits are only good for evil roles!

All in all I think it will stay on the shelf and I think with another watch I will enjoy it that little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment